Saturday, January 17, 2015

Krazy Garlik and looking for a shoe at Greenhills

Jan 17, 2015. I've been wanting a new pair of shoes I can wear on weekends, since it's mostly a coin flip to wear either a crocs slippers or a GBX slip on. So yeah, I'm not particularly fashionable.

The slip on's more than 3 years already, so I do think I owe myself a new pair of kicks. I did some searching online for something comfortable, and something I can wear with pants or a pair of shorts. I'm not big on shoes with laces, but that kind of limits my options. But since running's the fad nowadays, I've seen a lot of  pretty looking running shoes.

I do remember the Nike Prestos being the fad in the day, and within the last few years, there was the Nike Frees. So since December, I've been scouring the net for the one that I think would fit my preference. Eventually, I settled with the Nike Roshe Run. It's running a shoe, but wouldn't be out of place with a pair of pants either.

For the past weeks, I've been visiting some shoe stores especially Nike outlets looking for a pair, but couldn't find any. From what I've read, it's currently the number 1 shoe in sales for Nike, so it's sold out almost everywhere. I did find some stocks at a Nike store in Bonifacio High Street for about 4,500 pesos. Ouch. It's not that I can't afford it, but I'm not big on spending that much on a shoe that'll be out of style this time next year. Chea even volunteered buying me a pair as a gift, but i declined.

I did some checking online and found some knockoffs. I did some footwork to at some tiangges. They're being sold at around 1,600 pesos in a mall in Cubao. Online, some guys were advertising them at facebook for about 1,900 pesos.

While browsing online, I found other Nike models that I like, such as the Nike Flyknit Airmax 2014, Nike Free 5.0+, and even the Kobe Low 9 Elite. The online guys were selling them for around 2,300 pesos. It's very tempting considering the authentic ones are very expensive. The air max costs around 13,000 pesos, while another shoe I kinda like, the Nike Free v3.0 flyknit costs 7,000 pesos. Unfortunately, that one doesn't have a knock off, along with this other good looking shoe I saw, the Nike Lunar Flyknit.

I've been giving it some thought, and decided with finality to buy a knock off Nike Roshe Run because I'm cheap like that. So Chea, Thirdy, Precy and myself went to Shoppesville in Greenhills to get a pair.

We first dropped by Chea's co-worker Weny's house to drop off her Apple tart pie she left in the car the other day. Then, we visited my brother at the columbary before finally heading off to Greenhills.

We arrived a few minutes before 12 noon, got a quick look around, and saw the Nike Roshe Run being sold as low as 1,300 pesos.

Fancy and heavy menu
View from the outside


By then, we decided to have lunch, saw the Krazy Garlik signage outside the Promenade building, so we headed to look for it. It's at the second floor of the Promenade building which we've never been inside before, since it mostly houses the cinemas.

Second leaf of the heavy menu


The place looks pretty nice, very clean, with attentive and well dressed staff. But as soon as I saw the menu, I was a bit surprised. Most of the dishes were priced at around 400 pesos. But hey, let's try it out.

Thirdy given a coloring page to keep him busy


We ordered the four cheese pizza (475 pesos), the lunch version of Garlicky Crispy Pata (465 pesos), Garlik Rice (195 pesos) which was supposed to be good for about three people, a Krazy Half & Half unlimited drink (iced tea plus lemonade, 105 pesos) , and a Crema Catalana (150 pesos) dessert. There was a promo on weekends where kids get a free Alice's chicken meal (275 pesos) for a minimum order of 750 pesos, so we got that as well.

Big enough for three.


The crispy pata was ok. The meat was dry, but the skin was crispy with a couple of areas that tasted burnt. The soy sauce was a bit sour. I think there was some vinegar in there. We were told that the lunch version was good for 2 persons, while the regular (695 pesos) was good for about 5 persons. Still, the serving was big enough for Chea, Precy and myself, with a little bit left over.  

Garlic fried rice. Looked fancy, but tasted the opposite.


The garlic rice wasn't particularly good. The ones touching the bottom of the bowl was crusty ("tutong"), but not in a good way. I'm not sure what they put in here, but a regular garlic rice tastes better.

Worth the price? Probably a hundred peso too expensive.

The four cheese pizza was great. It's not doughy, a little thin but not crunchy, with enough cheese flavor that stays with every chew. The thing I dislike with thick pizzas is that most of the time, you're still chewing on the pizza when all the flavor on top's already gone, just because there's too much dough.

Would've been nice if the parts were visually separated


The iced tea plus lemon is kinda ok, but i barely taste the lemonade. What I do like about it, is that it's not too "iced tea". Do you get those iced teas that taste like it should have more water? I hate those. The flavor's too intense. With the Krazy Half and Half, at least it never tastes that it has too much tea in it.

Best of the lot.

The Alice Chicken Meal is great. I didn't get to taste the spaghetti, but Chea said it was good. I did get to taste the chicken since there were several filleted pieces and it was great. The breading tasted great and made the chicken taste different than the regular fair. The gravy was good too.

Again, probably a few ten pesos more than I'd like.


As for the dessert? It was ok. Chea commented that it tasted like leche flan with caramelized garlic cloves on top.

The total damage? 1500 pesos. Ouch. Still, we had some left over to take home. Would we come back? Let me think about it. Food's good but I'm not too keen on the price.

The box.

Looks nice.

After the meal, we went back to Shoppesville for the shoes. I ended up getting an olive green Roshe Run for 1,800 pesos. That's almost the same as the ones sold online, and I did find one other stall selling same quality knock off for about 1,500 pesos, so I kinda felt ripped off. That's what I get for being cheap.


0 comments:

Post a Comment