Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Planning for Chea's party: We have a winner

It's January 2, 2016. Chea's birthday party is just 6 days away, and we still don't have a venue. Well, actually, we do.

We're going with BBZ.


We have a venue!

Why BBZ? Well, quite a few things going fot it:


  • It's just a 5 minute walk from Chea's office. (10, you're me)
  • It's fairly brand new and looks really nice.
  • Tet is pretty accommodating
  • The below zero degree drinks is a nice gimmick
  • We get to have a roomy and exclusive 2nd floor reserved to us
  • And it didn't break the bank
The contract stipulates that I have to pay 50% at least 2 weeks before hand, but like I said, Tet was very accommodating. I wasn't even required to pay already, but I wanted to do so, lest another customer comes along and argues that I haven't paid yet, despite it being required in the contract. I know Tet wouldn't allow that to happen, still, I don't want to risk it.

So after lunch, I went to BBZ. While struck in traffic, Tina of Alchemy emailed me that she was fixing her band lineup for the month of January so she wanted to know if I was still considering their place for the party.

I could have just said no, but decided to write her an email a few paragraphs long. I've read in internet articles that Alchemy's hosted parties before, so my business probably doesn't matter too much.

Still, I really liked Alchemy's offering except that the emailing back and forth was taking too long, that I couldn't tell our guests where we would be having the party, even a week before we would actually have it. That the sample contract took too long before they could give me one, and it took days to clarify a few things. That I wasn't told before hand that there would be additional charges that was beyond the budget I told them I was working with. Nor that they could actually waive most of it, if i asked (which I did, but only after I've already agreed verbally with another venue. I'm a man of my word, you see).

I managed to compose and send the email, in the hour and a half I was stuck in a shuttle on the way to the MRT. I wanted Alchemy to see the entire negotiation from the client's point of view. They probably earn a hundred thousand pesos of revenue at any given night, so my 80,000 budget would seem paltry, but it's hard earned money ordinary people like me, are willing to spend for one night for a very special occasion. 

When we were discussing things with Tet, she always managed to pick up things from our conversation, and somehow made it sound important. She sounded earnest and sincere (even if she wasn't, who knows?). She picked up things like it was my wife's 40th birthday. And it was also our 11th wedding anniversary. She said that she'd waive the corkage for cakes, a bottle of liquor or two, and other stuff, even if you know that it isn't a great loss for them if they do. But at least she makes it sound that she understands how important the event is to you. 

Anyway, after an almost 2 hour trip, I arrived at BBZ around 3pm. Spoke with Peter, the dining supervisor, and ponied up the 50% downpayment in cash. I got the receipt, went out, looked for a nice meal to have merienda in. Then took the same route home to my loving wife.

0 comments:

Post a Comment