Thursday, May 1, 2014

Roberta Flavors of Asia

Mar 29, 2014. After a tiring half day of being outside, Chea, my parents, Thirdy, and I, were on our way home, but decided to pass by UP Village for dinner.

There were a lot of options for dinner in that area nowadays, so it's actually hard to make up your mind. This is especially true if you have a car, as the food establishments are within short driving distances.

Since we weren't looking for anything in particular, we just stopped at a restaurant when Chea just blurted out its name when we passed it by.



Roberta Flavors of Asia is your typical hole-in-the-wall restaurant that's prevalent in this area of Quezon City. It's a bit small, with about 5 tables that could sit about 20 patrons.

From outside it's pretty nondescript except for its signage that came in bright colors, which I think attracted Chea in the first place. Inside, it's pretty much all wood, from the walls, to the tables and to the seats. The ceiling is a bit low, and the lights a bit dim, and the spaces a bit tight. There was a girl behind the counter, but the kitchen was hidden.

Looking at the menu, I got a bit disappointed. Most of the food items were about 240 pesos and above. I assumed that the dishes are good for about three people each. I wasn't really in the mood for spending too much as I just wanted a simple dinner. I couldn't find any meals for just one person except for the pasta. And i really wanted to eat rice that time.

Ordinarily, at home, we probably would just have one dish for a meal. But whenever we're eating out, we're tempted to order at least three. So with each dish at least 240 pesos (except for the vegetables), that's just a couple hundred pesos from breaking the 1,000 peso mark. And since each dish can feed 3 people, there'd be a lot of leftovers. Any other day would be fine, but recently we tend to take home over the leftovers, stuff them in the fridge, and forget about them entirely.

While mulling over the menu, my mom told my dad to just get the 3 dishes for 200 pesos option among the appetizers. I looked over the appetizers and they look like you can eat them with rice. I decided to wait until my dad's order arrived and see if it's enough to feed more than one person. My mom decided she'd share my dad's order, while Chea passed on having dinner as she was still full from our merienda at Jollibee.

My dad selected the crispy tawilis, the mixed seafood gambas, and the sisig. We ordered three plates of rice, and a buko juice with pandan syrup for me.

Buko pandan juice


A bit later, the orders arrived. Each of the appetizers looked enough to feed one person, especially if taken with rice. So with that, I decided not to order anything else anymore. My mom, dad and myself managed to be satisfied with the size of the servings.

Left to right: sisig, seafood something, and tawilis


The tawilis was great. They're smaller than the ones we had at Nuezca Cafe, so you can eat the entire body instead of trying to flay away the meat from the bones first. They're like oversized anchovies. And they were really crispy. There were several pieces too, that all three of us managed to get a few pieces each.

The seafood was ok. Unfortunately, it had shellfish in them, which I'm allergic to.

The sisig was pretty ok as well. But they were too spicy for me. The dish had a lot of green chilis in it. So I had to order another glass of the buko juice.

The juice was good. I'm tempted to compare it to Nathaniel's version, which is a whole lot better. Not to mention, 15 pesos cheaper at 50 pesos.

Their water with a hint of pandan


After the meal, my parents gave their Senior Citizen cards, and we ended up with a bill of only 320 pesos. That's pretty cheap for three people.

So if you're not a heavy eater (or even if you are), you should go for the 3 appetizers for 200 pesos option. The serving's enough for at least 2 people, and you can probably stretch that by ordering more plates of regular rice which is only 25 pesos.

Overall, great experience for me. Good food at such an affordable price.

0 comments:

Post a Comment