Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cloth Sloth

Yesterday (Mar 24, 2013, Saturday), +maria cessna galecio and I headed back to Divisoria.

Since we decided to do the dessert buffet and cake table ourselves, we needed to style it as well. And since we were styling those two tables, we needed the rest of the place to match. Hence, the need for custom runners and overlays for the guest tables.

We also had to style the stage. We were going with blue and white striped patterns for the tables, so we thought it would be just logical to do the same to the stage. In order to do that, we needed a backdrop.

We arrived at Divisoria around 12pm. We had a quick lunch at McDonald's and then headed to the textile shop we found the last time we went there which had the striped patterns that we wanted.

After that, we went to Hidalgo in Quiapo. We needed something to hold the backdrop for the stage. Initially, i was thinking of making one from wood because I'm cheap that way. But it's hard to make a collapsible support made out of wood, as we don't have a truck to carry one that's not collapsible. So we just decided to get a collapsible backdrop support used for photography. It costs 2,500 at the cheapest.

We initially went to Tay Hua in Binondo before we parked at 186 mall. Unfortunately, it was closed on weekends, hence the side trip to Quiapo.

We asked around, but most of the shops were out of stock. We found one at 24k (I think), but they were selling it for 3.3k pesos, while it had sold for 3k at the other shops. We also asked around for printing photobooks as we wanted to have a signature book for the party. I found out that they were expensive as I saw some being offered at sulit.com a whole lot cheaper. We also asked about > 24 x 30 prints and were told that they cost roughly around 600 pesos. Ouch. We wanted to have 12 prints which would translate to roughly 7,000 pesos. That's just too much for us.

We decided to again ask at 24k if we can get the backdrop support at a cheaper price. I didn't want to come back to Tay Hua in Bindondo or the shops at Quiapo again as the savings we'll presumably get from buying at Tay Hua would actually go to gas and parking costs. If we buy it already, at least we'd get to save on time and effort on coming back.

Chea asked another sales person regarding the backdrop support. She said they had one in stock and it cost 3,000 pesos. I looked at Chea and she just clammed up and asked to see the item. Looks like these guys work on commissions so any additional price they put on items they sell, they get to keep for themselves. Oh well, that's business.

After buying the item, we went back to the car and went to Divine World columbarium to visit my brother. After that, a brief stop at Japan Home Center at Mother Ignacia in Quezon City. We got our hands on 2 more easels and 2 more cork boards that we will be using for our set ups.

Then, we bought some groceries at Puregold, Mindanao Avenue and went home.

We had some photo paper lying around so I tried to print some pictures of Thirdy. But the prints had gaps. Looks like I need to have the printer checked out and I have to shelve the idea of printing Thirdy's pictures myself. I guess I just have to go to a photo shop and pay for the printing service.

I wasted the rest of the night editing 35 pictures of Thirdy to look like polaroids. I'll have these printed and use them for decors.

Nanay Chea and Thirdy at the beach. You can't see it so you'll have to take my word for it.


Today, Chea and Rona headed up to Antipolo to visit Thirdy and celebrate Tita Fe's birthday. I begged off as I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

However, I decided to catch up on some movies and do the layouts for the prints we'll be using with the easels.

Thirdy's party logo.
I incorporated the striped pattern that will be used throughout the party theme. I also used variations of blue and green.

Here's one:
We'll be using this at the cake table.


Here's another:

Dessert buffet
And here's one more:

Registration easel

We still need one more for the easel by the entrance. I'll try to put in the work this week.

The pictures are of Thirdy taken mostly by me. The camera graphic was also made by me. And so are the poems. So they're copyrighted. Lol.

The fonts however are courtesy of TypeDepot and Wete. They make great looking fonts, so check their portfolios over at Behance.

I haven't written a poem for so long. The last one I think was a short 4 stanza verse for our wedding.

Anyway, Chea liked the layouts and the texts so I guess all we need is to have these printed in time for April 13.

0 comments:

Post a Comment