Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The New Ai

My wife asked me to re layout our Thirdy's invitation as we needed to get a high resolution file to send to our supplier. The original supplier could not accommodate us due to their work load.

I've been using Adobe Photoshop since the late 90s. But it's basically used for editing pictures. You really don't use it to create print materials, as you need more control in creating objects. The go-to application before was Corel Draw, but that was so long ago.

I'm aware of Adobe Illustrator but never really needed to use it. But since I need to work with an invitation, and the layouts reeked of vector graphics, it's the software I'll need to use. I have a copy of it (CS3) lying somewhere and proceeded to install it.

If you're familiar with Adobe Photoshop then you'll be able to use Illustrator right out of the bat.

You just start with the size of the document. What's good with vectors, is if you scale low or high, anytime, the objects don't pixelize. The only objects that will pixelize are the non vector objects such as static images you import. So it's a good idea to start with a large layout, and high res images. You can always scale down later.

I wasn't familiar with creating objects so I had to do some quick research on the internet. I had to create a camera, party hats and merge images into a round-edge rectangular frames. After a few seconds of reading, I was able to make this photo film inspired invitation.

Pretty good huh? I whipped this up in about 2 hours. Lol. 
Chea also asked that I make the design for the body of the photo film canister. Yes, you've read that right. Our invitation is in the form of a film canister.

The design for the canister body was easier. We made it simple as we didn't need to put much information as  all of that is in the "film" invite already.


This took less than an hour. Any longer would be embarrassing.


Hopefully, we get these invites soon. We need to give them out at least a week before the party.

0 comments:

Post a Comment