Sunday, May 19, 2013

The French Baker

So my wife and I are in the hunt for a new fridge. Late today, we decided to head over to Trinoma to check refrigerators at Anson's as we already did the same at Abenson's and SM appliances at SM North Edsa yesterday.

We then had our late dinner at the Landmark food court. At around a few minutes before 9pm, we decided to head back home.

On the way to the car, we passed by a French Baker stall by the supermarket. And since it was almost 9pm, I asked Chea if we could get some bread since they sell them at 50% off by 9pm.

I always loved The French Baker
They were already started packing their goods when we asked them if they were already selling them off at 50% off. We got a somewhat indifferent reply of it still being a good 3 minutes off.

Since it was still 3 minutes away, we just looked at what goodies were left and asked for the prices as most of the labels were already removed from the display.

Again, we got what I felt was a bit discourteous attitude from the staff. Here we are, wanting to buy their goods, and yet we felt we were being dismissed. After a few more questions, we were told some of the items were already spoken for as there were customers waiting ahead of us, who were a few meters away from the stall.

We looked back, and there were about three people way behind us who looked somewhat were in a loose definition of a line. Chea and I wondered if we should wait for the remaining minute before they start selling their bread at a discount, but then I voiced out that we should just head home.

I was a bit turned off with the staff's attitude. Maybe they're really tired. It's sunday after all. But still, I was a customer and i really wanted some beef turnovers ( i love these) and some bread to dip in my barely touched  vinaigrette at home. So imagine my disappointment on not being able to have those.

Anyway, the incident got me to reminiscing about all the times I've enjoyed The French Baker.

I was born in Quezon City. And I have been going to SM North Edsa ever since it was first built. The French Baker had their first branch there and we frequented them ever since.When I was a kid, I remember my mom coming home with baguettes and garlic bread at least once a week. Most of them on weekends. She loved buying those stuff. And me and my brother loved eating them for midnight snacks.

Ever since I started working at Ortigas over a decade ago, whenever I got out and had time to pass through SM Megamall, I would buy turnovers and garlic bread.

However, over the years, the love affair with The French Baker would be tested by flings with Le Coeur de France and by the fresh and modern BreadTalk. Still, we will always go back to The French Baker.

0 comments:

Post a Comment