Monday, October 28, 2013

Sci Fi Cafe

Sci Fi Cafe is a food establishment at the top floor of Robinson's Galleria.

The menu

+maria cessna galecio , Tita Fe, Thirdy and I ate there a few weeks back. We got curious with all the toy displays among the glass windows.

Easel stand. Didn't get to stare at it but I'm assuming it's full of celebrity pics.

Pan a little to the right to show the entrance

The place is a bit small. There's about 7 to 8 tables inside and about 6 or so tables outside. You would want to be seated inside so you can roam around and look at the displays while you're waiting for your orders. Of course, you can still go inside just to take a look around if you're seated outside. But being inside immerses you in the theme of the restaurant.

Mostly clear windows for viewing the displays both inside and out


Motif is science fiction so you basically find movie versions
Thirdy and myself among the displays


Aside from the amazing collection of sci fi action figures, there are a lot of costumes and props you can wear and get your picture taken. You won't get your full cosplay-on, but there's a few props you can try on.

During our visit, the most worn props are the Star Wars Clone trooper helmet and an Iron Man helmet. The Darth Vader helmet was out of commission that day so we never got to try it on. I was able to put on the Storm trooper helmet and gotten a picture with Thirdy. It seems that Thirdy didn't like it as he kept pushing it away from my face when I was holding him. The Iron Man helmet was too narrow. That, or I have a wide face. Let's just say it's the helmet.

I need to get one of these!

There were also light sabers you can fool around with too. So with all the props-wearing and picture taking going on, the area gets a little bit crowded. So if you're the snotty, grouchy type, you may want to avoid this place. But if you try to get into the spirit of the cafe, it really becomes a one-of-a-kind dining experience.

Everybody likes E.T. So does Thirdy!

Looking at the menu, you may be put off by most of the prices, as most of them cost upwards of 300 pesos.


There's a good variety of selections, which should cover any kind of preference you may like during your visit.

Still, I wasn't really in the mood of spending too much that day. It was fortunate that the patrons at the next table had their orders already so we got a chance to see what some the menu were.

Chea saw them having the Save The World Platter which looked pretty big enough for the three of us. Tita Fe's a small eater so we were thinking it should be enough. But on the safe side (and Chea always love to order pasta), we also ordered their Carbonara. I also ordered a bottomless ice tea this time instead of the usual can of Coke.

Carbonara (I think). Sorry for the fuzzy picture. The camera on my phone sucks at low light.

The carbonara tasted great. It was creamy and not too salty. The bread sticks were ok too. Not too hard.

This platter could actually save a world. 

Another angle. That's roughly 14 inches long. I'm talking about the plate :D

When the platter came, it looked bigger on your table. It had squid and onion rings, fish and fries, nachos and bbq chicken wings.

The nachos had a generous serving of cheese and salsa. I'm a big fan of chili con carne, so I really liked it. They didn't scrimp on the ground beef so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The fries were large cuts, weren't oily. It's not crispy, but had the exact degree of firmness. The fish fillet was pretty good too. The batter was just the right amount of thickness and taste.

The chicken wings were ok. I think we ordered the regular ones as I didn't find it too spicy.

The rings were pretty ok too. I haven't eaten onion rings for a while. The batter is enough to coat the rings and with a little bit of crisp in them. The squid rings weren't too rubbery too. My only complaint is that the onion rings (the coating mostly) tasted like squid rings. I guess they mixed the onion rings and squid rings in the same bowl during coating and fried it all together.

Overall, the food is great. The ones we ordered was worth the money. They also employed a lot of people, so I guess that's part of the reason for the prices.

I didn't notice if they had smaller meals like burgers, but with the small place and the tendency of people to linger and enjoy the place, I don't think they can afford to serve patrons ordering small inexpensive menu items.

It's a great place to visit once in a while to bring your kids, and even hang out with friends. Just get into the spirit and have fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment