Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Long Search for a Sound Bar - Part 1 (and a bite at Chicken Deli)

Last Saturday (09/28/13), the day found +maria cessna galecio and myself, falling in line at S&R Membership Shopping Congressional Avenue for their 2nd-Half-of-the-Year sale. We were already there at 6:30 am, and we managed to be in the 2nd row of a queue that grew to 5 rows by the time they started letting people in a few minutes shy of 8am.

We had actually been to S&R Congressional the previous week (not to mention around 2 weeks ago at S&R Baclaran) so we had already bought some items that were on discount during the pre-sale period.

The reason we went back was because I had seen an LG sound bar selling for less than 4,000 pesos at S&R Baclaran. I didn't buy it back then because I wasn't sure if my HTPC (home theather pc) had an audio optical out (which turns out that it didn't have one).

I was thinking that I could just get a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) to connect to my HTPC's analog outs and provide the optical in for the sound bar. CDR-King actually sells one for a measly 800 pesos.

When we got in, we only found another LG Sound bar priced at 5,499 (a 500 peso discount). Since I'm cheap, the 500 peso difference was unappealing. So we left S&R with about 6,000 pesos worth of grocery items, but no sound bar.

We went home and rested for a while, then headed to the Divine Word columbary. After that, we picked up Thirdy, Tita Fe and Mama Tess (Chea's mom) at Sta Lucia East Grand Mall. We then made a quick stop at Manggahan, Pasig for a warehouse sale of appliances. Again, I was disappointed to find that they did not have sound bars there.

We then headed to Robinsons Metro East to try my luck there. I did a sweep of AV Surfer, Sogo Home and Office Center, and Robinsons Appliances. Only Robinsons Appliances had a sound bar. But only one. The exact same unit with the same exact discount as the one being sold at S&R Congressional. Again, disappointing.

We spent a few minutes as well looking for a new pair of shoes for Chea and an evening dress for a party their office is throwing.

After that, it was around 4pm so we headed out for a late lunch at Marikina. Unfortunately, it looked like it was going to rain, so we ditched the idea, fearful of being stranded in Marikina floods. So we headed up to Antipolo, where we had our very late lunch/almost dinner at Chicken Deli at Mille Luce's Village Center.

Cheap but good food


They have express meals at 59 pesos. Chea, Tita Fe and Mama Tess ordered the express meals.

Chicken Deli had regular meals starting at 99 pesos, which included drinks, and unlimited helpings of rice. Since I planned on eating again when we got home, I just went with the 2 sticks of barbecue express meal and a glass of Pepsi Max.

Pancit. Very saucy. I thought it was just right but Chea found it a bit salty.

Ginataan. Damn. Haven't eaten one in a long while. Just as good as my mom makes it.
I'll never get tired of grilled pork marinated in soy sauce
it's called chicken deli for a reason, son!
I didn't place the order so I'll hazard a guess that this is chicken mami.

The food was ok. And it's cheap. So if you're really hungry and just want to eat, it's a good place to try out especially if you're sick and tired of the typical fast food menu.

After that, we headed  to Maia Alta to spend the night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment